Manchester United vs Liverpool Mar 21st

The streak continues. This one is the classic rivalry of the English Premier league. Michael and I flew to Manchester from Tokyo. We took the long way there Tokyo to Amsterdam to Gatwick to Manchester. Arrived on a rainy Friday night. AIG is the sponsor for Manchester United so we were treated well. We were shuttled to the hotel. Saturday we connected with the Watsons who also flew in the night before. Saturday morning we went to Liverpool. It is 45 mins away from Manchester. We went to the “Beatles Story”. It is the Beatles Museum in Liverpool. It is really cool. As you can imagine it is all things Beatles. We got some great pictures. They are posted. We then went for Pizza. Michael had a Knickerbocker – ice cream, chocolate, strawberries, whipped cream with a cherry on top. All this in a foot tall glass. On the way back we stopped at the Manchester Superstore. We are now a little more smartly dressed. We got back to the Hotel and hung out for a bit, before the rest of the group joined us for the dinner. Turns out dinner was at the same restaurant except in Manchester. Michael was seriously thinking about a second Knickerbocker but reluctantly held off.
Sunday – game day. We left for the 1:30 game about 10:30. We hung outside the stadium. They let us in about 11:30. We were on the suite level. We started off with lunch. Andy Cole, Dennis Irwin, Andy Richey and Ian Rush joined us for lunch. We got pictures with all of them. Then they brought in the Championship Trophy. We also took pictures with the Trophy. We then went out to our seats. We were on the upper deck right at midfield. Old Trafford is spectacular. The atmosphere is incredible. The Liverpool fans were in a fenced section separated from the rest of the crowd. They have a separate entrance and their sections were surrounded by police. The game started with Torres scoring on a brilliant header and Liverpool had a 1:0 lead. Man U went on the attack and about 30 mins into the half Man U got a penalty. Rooney scored on the penalty but it on the rebound after the goalie saved the original shot. The half ended at 1:1. We went back into the suite for “tea”. It was a great second half. Man U really went on the attack. JS Park scored halfway through the second half on another sweet header. We had to leave the game 10 minutes early to catch an earlier flight. Our flight was changed to an earlier flight because BA was on strike. But the game ended at 2:1 so we did not miss scoring only the action.
We got to Heathrow and found our Qantas flight to Thailand was postponed to the next day. They switched us to BA. Some of the previleges of being Executive Platinum. It was a long tiring flight to Thailand but we excited to connect with Mary and the girls and begin our vacation.  We had a blast.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: